Want to date someone from Hong Kong, but not sure what to expect? Or perhaps you live in Hong Kong and can’t seem to get the dating scene down. In this guide, we’ll review Hong Kong dating etiquette to set you on a path toward success.
Hong Kong Dating Etiquette Is Generally Conservative
For the most part, Hong Kong singles are conservative regarding their personal lives. The “hookup” dating scene in the U.S. is vastly difference than the Hong Kong dating scene. Most singles date with the intention of finding someone to marry, but they start with casual conversations. The key to Hong Kong dating etiquette is respecting the person you want to date and being willing to move at a reserved pace.
In-Person Dating Focuses on Social Circles
Despite the fact that there are 7.4 million people in Hong Kong, most HK singles will say that it’s hard to find a partner. This is because the dating scene is deeply rooted in social circles. If your circle is limited, so is your dating pool.
One member of your circle may lead to a new circle with new people, but the interactions happen within tight-knit communities. If you live in the area and want to meet Hong Kong singles in person, consider expanding your social circle.
Online Dating Expands the Options for Hong Kong Singles
Most Hong Kong singles are well into their adult years before they start dating. They have established careers and goals. Going to the club is far from ideal when you have a stable lifestyle like this. As a result, many singles use online dating sites to interact around their busy schedules.
Online dating also opens the world to life outside of Hong Kong. While there are plenty of professional opportunities in this region, the steep cost of living makes it difficult to thrive as a single adult. The right love connection can expand the options and awaken new possibilities.
Hong Kong Singles Look for Attentive and Motivated Partners
Being attentive is critical when it comes to Hong Kong dating etiquette. Men and women alike want partners that listen to their thoughts, goals, desires and interests. And as we mentioned above, most Hong Kong singles are successful adults. Income isn’t a make or break deal, but motivation is. HK singles want partners that add value to their lives and enhance the stability they’ve secured for themselves.
What Not to Do on a First Date with a Hong Kong Single
If you’re about to go on a date with someone from Hong Kong, here are some things not to do:
- Don’t talk exclusively about appearance or superficial topics. Showcase your interest and inquire about theirs.
- Don’t plan a date that limits conversation opportunities. Instead of going to a loud club, eat at a casual diner where you can get to know each other.
- Don’t assume anything physical will happen on the first date. You may hold hands or even get a kiss, but don’t automatically assume you’ll have a physical interaction.
- Don’t get distracted on your phone. That’s easy to do in today’s world, but your date deserves your full attention.
- Don’t dress like a slob. You can wear something casual if the venue calls for it, but you should still look neat and tidy.