Whether it’s your first time creating an online dating profile or you’ve used just about every site on the internet, you know how important it is to make a good first impression. This dramatically increases your chances of connecting with people online and building solid relationships. In this guide, we’ll go over how to write an online dating profile and how to set up your profile here on MeetHongKongSingles.
The Most Important Aspects of an Online Dating Profile
Every element of your online dating profile matters, but there are a few elements that carry a little more weight. A study from the Missouri University of Science and Technology showed that it only takes 2.6 seconds for someone to form an opinion about a page online. In the case of online dating, your profile page is your personal “webpage,” and visitors are going to quickly scan it to find what they’re looking for.
These are the features you want to focus most on:
- Profile Photo – Something that clearly shows your face and smile without a heavy filter.
- About Me – Short, concise description of your best features and biggest goals. This will likely only be 2-3 sentences, so make it count!
- Interests – If there is a separate area for Interests, highlight the ones you feel most passionate about. Other users will review this information to see if your hobbies align with theirs.
- Other Photos – Having additional photos beyond your profile picture is a huge plus. This gives you a chance to show off your hobbies, travels, your passions, and your sense of fashion. Ideally, this should include at least one full-body photo.
Above all else, remember that your content needs to be easy to skim. People may take the time to read every word if they like what they see initially, but you can’t expect them to sift through a giant wall of text. They’ll get bored or disinterested and move on to another profile. You want to grab their attention so they feel compelled to reach out.
How to Create a Dating Profile on Meet Hong Kong Singles
Here at Meet Hong Kong Singles, we make profile setup a breeze. Simply click on the Login/Register button in the upper-righthand corner. Fill in the prompts with your name, email address, birthday, etc., and then check your email account to complete registration.
From there, you can upload a profile picture, cover photo, and other media to your account. Add any information you want to show on your profile, such as your interests, hobbies, what you’re looking for in a partner, etc. Then start exploring the site to connect with other members!
Please…Don’t Make Your Profile Picture Private
Most online dating sites will give you the option to make your profile picture private. You may want to do this because you don’t want people you know to find your account, but we advise against it as much as possible. The vast majority of users will not click on a profile without a picture on it. This is the main component of your first impression. Don’t waste the opportunity by keeping a picture off your account!
Keep in mind that most sites don’t have a public database of users. Thus the only way someone would see your profile is if they also had an account on the site. This isn’t always the case, but it may ease your mind a bit about removing the privacy setting.
Online Dating Profile Setup Tips – Proven Ways to Attract People to Your Profile
Here are some tested and proven ways to make your online dating profile desirable to other people:
- Use a smiling picture for your main profile photo. Serious and sexy have their moments, but happy-looking photos are most likely to attract other people.
- Don’t lie on your profile. Show your authentic self so you can make the best possible matches. If you act completely different in conversation than you present yourself on your profile, people will quickly discredit you as a liar.
- Avoid mentioning politics and divisive topics on your profile. You can choose to discuss those topics in conversation, but doing so right away may limit your pool of interested partners.
- Don’t be afraid to use a little tasteful humor on your profile. A funny pun or quote could make your profile stand out from others.
- Avoid group photos of any kind. It’s great that you’re close to your friends and family, but people visiting your profile only care about you.
- Don’t use self-deprecation in your profile. This may be something you do as a form of humor in real life, but on your profile, you want to be as confident as possible.
- Focus on what you want, not what you don’t want. Instead of saying “I don’t want to date someone with XYZ,” say “I’m looking for a person who loves to travel, read, listen to music, etc.”
- Get feedback from a trusted friend. Have them read over your profile and provide honest feedback on what you’ve presented. They can tell you what looks good and what might turn some people away.
What Should I Write in My Dating Profile?
You can write anything you want on your dating profile, but try to prioritize your biggest interests or goals. If you only want to date someone with your religious beliefs, emphasize those beliefs on your profile. If you have an active lifestyle that you want someone to be a part of, showcase your activities in photos and descriptions.
Everything needs to be easy to read and preferably free of grammar errors. Think about what you look for when you click on other profiles, and then formulate your profile around that. If you only look at photos and the About Me section, chances are someone visiting your page will do the same. Make it count!
What to Do If Your Online Dating Profile Isn’t Getting Views
If your online profile isn’t getting many views, it may be time to tweak it. Rewrite your About Me section to put the most important information in the first sentence. If you have more than 3 or 4 sentences per section, condense and simplify your writing. Change up your profile picture to something that better shows your best features, and try reaching out to other people. Taking that first step may be all you need to create meaningful conversations!